01732 360 095

Summary

As part of their ongoing relationship with Imperial College London, Newton Specialist Contractor A.P. Gooch assessed and waterproofed 11 Victorian brick vaults beneath the streets of Kensington, London, after the existing competitor ‘waterproof render’ failed.

The Project

Imperial College London is a world top ten university, and it's top-class educational facilities in Central London are constantly used by multidisciplinary students, including doctors, and nurses, for their studies. It was therefore crucial for AP. Gooch to perform the work whilst also creating minimum disruption to the college students.

The Solution

Following a full assessment of the vaults, A.P. Gooch decided that the best option was to install the tried and tested ‘failsafe’ Newton System 500 cavity drainage membrane solution in order to depressurise, capture and safely manage ingressing water away from the building. A.P. Gooch also committed to carrying out the entire installation at night in order to cause as little disruption as possible to the College’s students.

By installing Newton 508 membrane with strategically placed Newton MultiPlug fixings, the system remained sympathetic to the historic structure beneath. Newton Basedrain was also installed in order to channel captured water to one of four Newton Titan-2 sump chambers, the compact size of which made them ideal for use in a structure with such tight size restrictions. Each chamber also contained primary and backup Newton CP400 pumps to ensure that there will always be a safe means of removing captured water from the building.

The Result

Now fully protected by a maintainable system, compliant with waterproofing code of practice BS 8102:2009, all 11 vaults are now completely dry, providing safe and healthy individual study rooms for the medical students at Imperial College.

quotation marks

“Imperial College London Business School truly is a magnificent landmark building in this area of the capital, and one of the most important scientific and research buildilings both in the UK and the rest of the world. It was an honour for A.P. Gooch Basement Waterproofing to be assigned the project, and also the responsibility of creating a dry, functional space in which the students of Imperial College can study, develop and learn.” Anthony Gooch - Director, A.P. Gooch Basement Waterproofing

Speak to our friendly, expert team

Our staff are able to provide guidance for projects of all sizes, whether you require some general advice about damp or waterproofing, or support with technical drawings and specifications.

By submitting your details you confirm that you agree to the storing and processing of your personal data by Newton Waterproofing as described in the privacy statement.

Easter Bank Holiday - We will be closed on Friday 29th March reopening on Tuesday 2nd April